Tuesday, April 22, 2014

a dry run

For the last ten days or so, we have been staying at my dad's house to dog sit while they went on vacation.  This is the house that we are buying, so we spent this time figuring out the best commutes and thinking about our new delivery restaurants.  The first few nights, Ryan and I thought about decoration ideas, window treatments, paint colors, and furniture options.  We started a list of what we would want to do with the house and tried to estimate the costs.  Luckily, the majority of what we want to do is paint :)  As the days went on, we got more creative.  There is an iPad app that allows you to take pictures of your rooms and change the paint colors.  I think I did this for 3 hours one night after work.  We were settled on a few color families and could not wait to get over to the hardware store to look at swatches.

We had a pretty nice little Saturday.  Walked around Lowes for a couple hours, looking at patio furniture, fans,  lights, paints, just all in all house stuff.  I think we picked up about 75 little paint cards to take home, and when we got back we played a little game with them.

First, I tried the kitchen colors - the counter top has shades of light orange in it, and we thought it would look nice to try and pick that up in the paint.  I laid out all of the shade variations on the counter and immediately had a favorite, but I didn't tell.  Next, the family room and dining room color - a soft gray/beige. Greige. With the natural light behind me, I held up the swatches again and I knew what I liked.  Finally, the master bedroom.  We've known for a long time that our room would be a lavender-type purple shade, we just needed to pick the perfect one.  I brought the color chips up with me and knew my favorite instantly.

Now is the fun part... seeing what colors Ryan likes compared to mine.  Now, I have always been a quick decision maker - bought the first wedding dress I tried on, picked the first venue we looked at, etc.  Maybe I just know what I like.  Ryan has always been a 'pick my top choices' kinda guy, lets just see what he picks.

Kitchen:  "I like this shade (different), but this one is really the best (my choice too!)"
Family Room: "I feel like we are grasping at straws here, they are all pretty much the same... wait, this one is too blue, this one is kind of green... I'm going to pick this one (samesies)"
Master Bedroom:  "Oh, this one is much easier.  This one (yup, you guessed it!)."

Obviously we are meant for each other, we have the same taste in paints! I wish we could fast forward a few weeks to get started on everything.  We want to paint, pack, move, FINALLY be settled with our own belongings again.  

All week we were picking out which cabinets would house our kitchen items.  What size couch we want to get, what we are going to put in all of the storage areas that are pretty much everywhere, thinking about how great it will be to have a garage for the first time!

Easter Sunday was fun! We had a mini egg hunt for my niece at my mom's house, Easter brunch and baskets there as well, and then just some relax time.  After Ryan and I left, we had plans to wander around Ikea for the afternoon to look for more ideas.  Some people will tell you that Ikea furniture is crap and it is such a pain to build themselves.  Those people are lazy!  Yes, Ikea does have some sub-par, wouldn't even bother in a dorm room furniture, but for slightly more money, they have some very good quality items (maybe I should work there!).  

First stop on the Ikea tour: Living room furniture.  Ugly. Ugly. Too small. Ugly. Too Big.  Perfect, but its probably not comfortable.  But it is comfortable, and its perfect.  L shape sectional, not too tall, great charcoal gray color... hmm.  We wrote down the information for this lovely couch, along with an arm chair, some barstools for our breakfast bar, a chaise lounger for our possible reading room, a couple of area rugs, and a few other odds and ends.  

This is like torture.  In the chant of the 7th grade cheerleader of my former self: 

Let's Go! Let's Go! L-E-T-S-G-O!

No comments:

Post a Comment