Wednesday, March 26, 2014

a month of downs and ups

We had our planning meeting with our doctor.  He told us that with people in our situation (insurance that is not going to cover much) we need to be very cautious with how we move forward so that we aren't expecting a baby and are broke at the same time.  This sucks.  We want to be as aggressive as possible so that we can have our baby already.  Looks like we are going to have to re-think things. ugh... come on.  There were a couple of options: try to get on the insurance through my work, look for a new job that provided fertility coverage, or pay out of pocket.  The latter was not an option.  

I told my boss the whole situation in a crying closed door meeting.  She was going to do everything she could to get our benefits person to let me enroll - spirits are up.  That same day we found out that there was literally nothing they could do until open enrollment... 4 months away. No, no, no.  I can't wait four more months to get started.  There was only one choice left. 

Luckily, I work for a major company with many options in the Chicagoland area.  I emailed a few contacts to seek after any openings.  After a few days, I heard about a position available in an office that was not too far away - the exact same position I currently held.  This job was mine.  I got in for an interview and nailed it.  It was a two round interview and after each person left, they told me that they were very excited about me.  Now I wait.  I'm used to that.

Ryan travels for work a few times per year, so when there was the opportunity for me to piggy back to Scottsdale for the weekend, we jumped on it.  It was so nice to be away from our life for a little bit.  The weekly updates on the short sale were starting to slow down.  I thought I would have heard back about the job by now, but I hadn't.  As we packed for our early morning flight, I was so discouraged.  Visualizing us living in a 1 bedroom apartment, with an enormous amount of debt and a baby. Not exactly how I saw myself.  Just go to sleep...

As we are on our way to the airport, my phone dings for an email.  Probably junk.  

Whoa.  I was wrong!  It was an offer letter.  More money, better hours, and the really exciting part - full health insurance coverage after a month.   I accepted the offer and reviewed the insurance information.  Wait... am I reading this right?  'infertility and treatment will be treated as any other medical condition'  I have coverage now? I HAVE COVERAGE NOW!!!  

What a great way to start a weekend getaway with the love of my life.  This trip happened to fall about 2 weeks before our first wedding anniversary and we were going to celebrate the crap out of us.  

The last day at my office was bittersweet.  I made a lot of friends in the two years I was there, but it was time for me to go.  I was extremely excited to start my new (same) job, and was counting down the days until the insurance coverage started.

I love hosting parties.  Love it.  It was so obvious that we were going to be the perpetual host of a Halloween party since our anniversary was October 27th.  This was the perfect way to keep our minds off our house and baby situation.  Plus, it was really nice to not act pregnant.  We never knew if that month would be THE month, so since we made the decision, I acted as though I was already pregnant.  No drinking, or very little.  Limited caffeine.  Letting loose was exactly what we needed. 

At our Halloween party in our tattered thrift store outfits

No comments:

Post a Comment