Wednesday, March 26, 2014

let's see how many emotions we can cram into one weekend

I got the news that our test was negative on Friday, February 7th.  With a shaky voice I had to call Ryan to tell him.  The amount of disappointment enveloped us.  How was I supposed to walk back to my desk and work for the next several hours?  I was so close to taking a personal day. 

Our nurse was extremely apologetic, but it didn't matter.  She told me that the success rates of the first round of IUI were way less than the statistics of the second try.  Also, that sometimes the body needs more than one cycle to understand what we are asking of it,  and that we should immediately jump back on the horse and try again for the February cycle. 

After a couple quick conversations with Ryan, I decided that I didn't think that I can handle this same disappointment in 4 more weeks.  We agreed that we should move to the more guaranteed option - In Vitro  Fertilization (IVF).  We ran this by our doctor and he told us that he is fine with it, but we are young enough that we should try IUI again, but it was up to us.  We had a couple days to decide.

We wanted to get back in to see the townhouse we put our offer in on.  Our moms hadn't seen it and were dying to, plus it had been about 6 months since our offer went in and we wanted to make sure it wasn't being destroyed.

The following day, we were able to get in.  We met our moms in the morning, and in a matter of minutes, we were standing in our future kitchen.  The house looked better than I remembered - bigger, brighter, even more perfect.  Yay!!! We sat at the Starbucks down the street and chatted away about how great this place was in so many ways.  We were starting to get happy again.

Our doctor exchanged a few emails with us and explained that if we were to go forward with IVF at this point, we would need to have a full five weeks of a dormant system - aka going on birth control pills to calm my system before the multiple rounds of hormones and procedures.  If we went with IUI, we would be able to start four days later.

We chose to do IUI for the second time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment