Thursday, March 27, 2014

you were very brave

Tonight is the night we start our injections.   It has been on my mind for the entire day.  I think I am going to try and give them to myself because a self inflicted would will hurt less... right?  Come on 4:30... I had to get home.  We agreed today would be a no gym day and after a couple stops, it was time.

My doctor's office is super cool and savvy and they have an iPad app.  The app has so many instructional videos of how to measure and administer the shots.  I'm so nervous.  Ok let's do this.  The first shot is similar to an epi pen.  We spend at least 5 minutes prepping this one when my phone rings.  It's my sister - she can wait.  Ok focus... wipe off the area. Phone rings again...

             Ryan: Hey, can Allison call you back? We're doing shots.
             Amanda: Wait, do you know what side of the mall has Stir Crazy?

             Ryan: I don't know, she will have to call you back... we are right in the middle of shots
             (silence)
             Ryan: ok I'm hanging up now... bye.

Enough distractions.  It's go time.  We've prepped the area, pinch... I can't do it.  What a baby.  Reliable Ryan steps in and immediately takes control of this nerve wracking situation.  Boom.  I felt practically nothing.  Easy peasy - let's do two.  The other is a little more complicated.  We have to mix the powdered medicine with saline solution in a multi-step, more intricate process. 

"I'll do the prep, but you supervise me. Then you do the shot."  Ryan was fine with this arrangement and in about 5 seconds the next shot was done.  I can totally handle this.  Plus the reason I am doing this is going to make it totally worth it.  After a quick clean up, we were done.  10 minutes top and we are rookies.  By the end of the weekend we will be pros. We walked out of the bathroom and Ryan rubbed my back and said "you were very brave" and I actually agree with him.  This is a lot to take in.  My body is about to go through some incredible changes and I just have to sit back and wait for the side effects. 

By the way, I checked my phone and Amanda texted me.  "OOOHHHH Shottttts" She thought it was a little odd that we were hanging out at home, throwing back a few vodka shots on a Thursday night.  Funny how three and a half years can really change your mindset when outside of Ryan and me, she was the only one who knew what we were doing. 

This deserves a cheat dinner.



Sorry Brad!

No comments:

Post a Comment